Monday 16 July 2012

Diploma with Honours - Term 2 2012


Monday – Thomas Robson  - Pathways to abstraction

What a challenge! Thomas’s art is beautiful, he seems to be able to see colour where I can’t, see beautiful form where I don’t. His suggestions to improve your work is invaluable, but I might have to repeat the class to understand or work through the ideas he’s given me. I did do a few pieces in his class but not as many as I am used to.




Wednesday –Karla Vink and Christina Earl – Foundation painting day

I really enjoyed Karla last term and wanted to experience what the foundation students got from her and Christina, a smattering of various of painting styles and exercises, it was fun, the class was large and very enthusiastic, the energy was great.





Thursday – Sam Harris – Digital art and design

Sheila recommended this class as a way to use photoshop  to quickly see if your art is on the right track. I did not use the time that way, rather I used the computer to explore my idea of ‘abstract ’for Thomas’s class. I learned alot about photoshop but missed the feel of a paintbrush in my hands.




This term was not a high production term but I have taken the  opportunity to present in three galleries my work. Farsite, Petone, Matchbox, Cuba street, Wellington and The Pinehaven  Arts and Crafts Pinehaven School Upper Hutt. (I also presented three at the end of term exhibit at The Learning Connexion.







 All of these exhibits taught me different things, namely working with a group of artist allows the work load to be shared, and a wider group of people to see your work,  (being like minded people does not guarantee they have the same work ethic however and clear guidelines about what each person should be doing is essential and a responsible way of working in a joint effort to avoid resentment ) Cost (of hiring the gallery)Time, distance and effort can play a large part on who will see your work and whether it’s worth it. Other people who hang your work do not give it the same care or have the same sense of what’s best for it, if you are concerned about treatment or where it’s best hung you should write guidelines, they may not be followed exactly but exhibit organisers are not psychic, they’ll do their best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment