Wednesday 18 January 2012

My first week

My first week, boy did that come round quick! TFAC, they call it Thinking for a change is an introductory week with three tutors who take you through a whole range of exercises stretching your creative muscles. John, Christina and Karla were encouraging and fun, informative and enthusiastic.

I met a diverse group of people from many different walks of life, that throughout my time at TLC would run into, either in the corridors, at lunch or, if our interests coincided, in class.You see, unlike other learning institutions TLC want to encourage you on your creative journey, not their set cirriculum. You have the freedom to pursue the field of art that best interests you or best fits your skill set.

So of the twenty one amazing, creative, different, quiet and loud people I met that week six I have seen on a regular basis over the past two years and appreciated their encouraging attitudes towards each other. I was relieved to discover that my abilities were on a par, at a level with most of the others, because of course we are always comparing ourselves, consciously or subconsciously aren't we, or maybe it's just me or my generation?

Do young people (by that I mean 17-29 year olds) care less about what others think of them. I did, of course, saw alot of my fellow students work that was way better than my efforts, but I only know that we were all at TLC to improve our technique, kick start our creativity and get some art done! So despite our many differences, our backgrounds, our ages, our maturity, and our experiences our common purpose 'allowed' for respect, thoughtfulness and acceptance of others and their creative efforts.





Towards the end of the week we were asked to create a piece of art that encompassed our past, present and future.  What was important to us, what was significant in our lives and where did we want to be or achieve. We then was split into groups to discuss the meanings behind these art pieces. 

This was of course highly emotive and people opened themselves up, in an environment of trust, to then present on Friday to the rest of the class. This was way out of my comfort zone so I went the boring route and produced a collage which lead to a significant piece of wire and cotton in the form of a wing. (I had drawn wings on many of the objects in my collage and hoped that by attending the school I might learn how to fly). 

My fellow students were so accepting and caring that one of them, Lori, gave me a set of angels wings she happened to have at home and thought they would encourage me! They have and continue to be a source of inspiration to me  because of the spirit with which they were given.


No comments:

Post a Comment