Wednesday 11 January 2012

Term 3 2010 Start Block Week


Marci Tackett – Polyester plate Lithography

To come prepared for this course is essential, finding high contrast images that are your own.

In Photoshop the images have to be converted into black and white, grey scale made halftone and reversed if you want the same aspect as original. Print onto transparency. The idea is the printing ink adheres to the black image, leaving the clear areas clean. The plate is put into contact with some ’good’ paper  and rolled through the press under a protection blanket.

Boy, was I productive that week and I only had four days. 

Some of the images I chose didn’t work, some were great. I experimented with overhead transparency but it didn’t stand up to the moisture. Tried a sharpy and bic black biro both worked but wore quickly. My final image I believe to be the best and I only got two prints before having  to clean up. (You must be organised and clean otherwise you get in a mess). Some of my fellow students were majoring in printing and seeing what was possible was inspirational. 

Marci is a wonderful tutor, there are so many aspects to the whole ’printing’ field and yet the quality of instruction allowed quick and complete understanding of the process so you can concentrate on the creation of your art.  









No comments:

Post a Comment