Monday 16 January 2012

Term 1 End Block Week


Hanne Eriksen Mapp -Jewellery  

To use a brand new Milling machine, to imprint patterns into copper or silver and produce a bracelet and/or ring. 

A fellow student who became a good friend, Barbara, and myself turned out to be the only two in the class with no prior jewellery experience and therefore were labelled ‘babies’. Fortunately I was not a complete novice with the equipment in the workshop so I could produce something but I decided not to experiment with expensive silver and chose copper. 

I was very pleased with the feather brooch, could have sold it a dozen times over, and my mother got a copper bracelet for her birthday, purported to relieve aching wrists, the ruby ring was a great exercise in cutting, milling, soldering and setting (the stone).I also had a crack at producing links for a necklace, but ran out of time. I thank the other students in the class for their patient forbearance of my many stupid and frequent questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment